Thursday, April 26, 2007

Our Little Guy is 1!

Mason is a year old today! I feel so very blessed to have him. He has been our little miracle baby. For those of you who don't know about the things we've had to go through with him, here's a list:

  1. I was put on bed rest at 27 weeks because of Polyhydramnios, which they drained 4 liters of amniotic fluid at 29 weeks. Before that I was measuring 42 weeks pregnant! I was huge! I really wish we took before and after photos. I then had to have an ultrasound each week, along with 2 non stress tests (checking baby's heartbeat and movements) each week until I reached 37 weeks, and multiple tests to see if the doctors could determine the cause, which all came back negative. I was induced a week early and out came Mason Wyman Perkes at 9lbs. 14oz. and 23 1/4 inches long. And can I say my epidural wasn't working on my right side (which the anesthesiologist came back to fix but still didn't work correctly)? Ouch!
  2. Mason failed his hearing test at the hospital twice so we were referred to a specialist and a month later he failed again. We were told that he had a mild hearing impairment that could be corrected by hearing aids. We then had to wait another month until he was fitted for hearing aids and before they did that, they decided to retest him because I started noticing that he was responding to doors being slammed and what not a few days before that. He finally passed after 2 months of not being able to hear. The doctor was baffled and didn't have an explanation of why he could finally hear. What a miracle!!
  3. Mason was born with an umbilical hernia and we weren't able to have a specialist look at it before we moved to England. We finally were referred to a specialist here when he was 9 months. The doctor started asking us questions about my pregnancy and things about Mason since he was born. Because of all that (Mason's hernia, hairiness, full lips, and the size of his body), the doctor wanted to test him for Mucopolysaccharidosis. We stressed for four weeks before we received the NEGATIVE result. What a relief!

Here are some newborn pictures of Mason. I love his hair!!

Here are some pictures of Mason's first haircut. He was 2 1/2 months old.

He really is a miracle and we love him so much. He is such a happy boy and is constantly smiling. He loves to give kisses and has recently started hitting his head to his Mom's head to show affection. He also loves to grab noses! He still will only say forms of Dada, Dad, or Daddy even though I'm persistent about trying to get him to say Mama!

The downside we face now is carrying this 30+ pound boy around. We take the stroller EVERYWHERE! He climbs and crawls everywhere and is constantly on the go and putting EVERYTHING in his mouth. I love that he's exploring and learning, but why can't he just sit still sometimes? He wears me out!

Here's a picture of Mason from a couple weeks ago. He sits as tall as his car seat.

 

I didn't have any early pictures of Mason because the laptop we brought with us died and we haven't had a chance to fix it. Thanks to Shaila for providing me with the newborn pictures and thanks to Melanie for the pictures from Mason's first haircut!! I appreciate you both for sending me some pictures so quickly.

3 comments:

melanie said...

I think it's cute you call him your little guy because when I see him I see a huge 1 yr old. Seriously I still think he is going come home a baby and he is coming home a big toddler. It seems weird but they change so much in the first year.

You guys have been so blessed with him and I'm so happy that Mason has always been watched over.

Happy Birthday Big Boy Mason!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mason! He is huge...I agree with Mel, I keep thinking he's going to come back still a baby. Well I hope he has a good day...I guess we'll celebrate when you come home.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea of all of the complications. He has been through a lot, and so have you! I'm glad he is doing so well and seems to be perfectly healthy- it really is a miracle. :) Happy 1st Birthday Mason!!